Solid Scanner – Mobile NIR scanner as mini-lab
Mobile NIR spectrometer:
New sensor technology allows compact, cost-effective design & easy operation
The easy-to-use NIR scanner, hardly larger than a standard computer mouse, is used both inside and outside laboratories, e.g. in incoming goods or production. The Solid Scanner explicitly dispenses with many setting options and instead offers the essential functions that are controlled with a button.
This way you can create a spectrum of the desired material in less than 1 second and immediately make a statement about the type and quality of the material. The Solid Scanner serves you as a mini-laboratory and is in many cases a simple and inexpensive solution for laboratories entering the world of NIR spectroscopy.
The working principle of NIR
The scanning process is either started with the only available button on the scanner itself, or by a software button on the computer. Thereby, the NIR scanner measures an area of 3 x 3 mm and in case of non-transparent (plastic) materials up to a depth of 0.2 mm up to 0.3 mm, in case of transparent materials accordingly deeper. The generated spectrum is an average value of the chemical composition of this material.
In this way, coatings on materials can also be detected and differentiated. From a layer thickness of approx. 50 µm to 100 µm, differences in the NIR spectrum become visible.
- Small, compact scanner
- Latest generation NIR detector, as powerful as laboratory solutions
- Perfect for mobile use at the office and in the field
- Safe operation also guaranteed by non-professionals without laboratory experience or training
- Open JDX data format allows further processing of the generated spectra (with other software solutions)
- Quick amortisation due to low acquisition costs and short learning times
- 2,000 h lifetime of the light source for over 7,000,000 times identifying plastics
The scope of delivery of the scanner includes basic software modules for visualization, difference and cluster analysis and identification.
The visualized spectrum enables experts to identify plastics by interpreting the measured spectrum. However, no expert knowledge is necessary to use the Solid Scanner for the identification of materials.
With the help of the differential view a large number of plastics are compared with each other and even the smallest differences are displayed.
The identification module allows automatic recognition of plastics based on stored data. The database required for this is either created quickly and easily by the user or loaded by us from a reference database.
This makes the Solid Scanner an indispensable aid in the fast and reliable determination of batch fluctuations, the initial assessment of damage, the analysis of competitors or the sorting of production waste according to type.
Plastics consultants, engineering service providers and testing service providers use the compact scanner for the preparation of specifications and expert opinions. Laboratory managers, on the other hand, appreciate the advantages for rapid material analysis. Quality managers and production managers, in turn, check curing processes for epoxy resins in random samples or the correct allocation of materials in the warehouse.
- Inline measurements are only limited possible due to the measurement duration of 500 ms
- The following materials cannot be measured, or only with severe limitations:
- Plastics coloured with carbon black absorb large parts of the light impulse. In such cases, the measurement duration must be set considerably higher. The measurement of very dark or black plastics is therefore not possible. If the black coloration is produced without carbon black – for example by combining different color pigments – measurement with NIR is possible without restrictions.
- Inorganic powders, such as pure titanium dioxide If titanium dioxide is used as filler, it weakens the signal. Thus, white coloured PVC plastics with different filler contents are distinguished.
Technical specifications NIR spectrometer
|Dimensions||82 x 66 x 45 mm|
|Operating system (for GUI)||Windows and Mac. Linux upon request|
|Wavelength||900 nm – 1.700 nm|
|Accuracy||+/- 2 nm|
|Minimum measuring time||ca. 500 ms / measurement|
|Distance to sample||max. 2 mm (distance between scanner and sample)|
|Dynamic range ADC||24 bit|
|Dynamic range preamplifier||6 bit|
|Data format spectra||JDX, readable and editable with any text editor|
Scope of supply
|Hardware||NIR spectrometer „Solid Scanner“|
|Software||Software for visualiszation, cluster view, differential view, identification|
|Software||Module for documentation|
|Reference data||NIR data “Beginner”|
|Reference data||NIR data “Basic”|